Monday, April 1, 2013

Who Says You Can't Throw 100?


My first post on Velocity Optimization Training was merely a question of thought.  If you buy into the idea of "pushing the envelop" and testing your limits, do you believe it is possible to increase your velocity through training, or, are you essentially, stuck with what you're born with?  The second post was a follow up to that.  Assuming that you are in agreement, at least on some level, that such gains are possible with training, the second post was more of a probe into how one might approach designing, or implementing, such a program.  Two things have happened since publishing the previous two posts.

The Development of Hypotheses (plural)

After the posting of, "Part II," I started to realize that I had my own theories, or hypotheses, on the matter.  Though it was not my initial intent, I found myself pondering more and more about what it is, exactly, that would make an effective program; because clearly I'm not the first person to wonder "how I can throw harder?"  For example, why aren't pitchers incorporating more lateral movement exercises into their programs in a effort to improve "lateral power" (for lack of a better term).  Replicating the pitching delivery always seems awfully logical to me.  Now, maybe there are some select individuals out there who do, but in my ten plus years of professional baseball, it was never recommended to me.  A majority of weight rooms had slide boards (perfect for such a task), and they were there for our use, but they were never a "staple" in any training program.  Why not??  It seems down-right, straight forward to me.  If you pitch laterally, why not train laterally?  We were always told to "squat this" and, "lunge that."
Now, please do not get me wrong.  I am not, in any way, questioning the ability or knowledge of the strength coaches I had the privilege to work with.  Most of them, in fact, loved the idea when I would say, "hey, do you mind if you use that slide board?  The one over in the corner, tucked behind the dumb bell rack."  I guess, perhaps, it's just not that realistic to incorporate such an exercise into a program designed "for the masses."  Well, I always thought it was a shame.  And that's also not to say that I didn't train, myself, with a slide board.  I certainly did my fair share of it (hockey was my sport in high school), but did I ever really "push the limits of it?"  And what about rotator cuff exercises?  Why are they always limited to "light weight"?  Why does every other muscle group get trained with an endless increasing of weight, except the one we throw baseballs with??  My mind can't take the wonderment anymore!  I'm taking action!!

The Desire to Become a Self Guinea Pig

I have come to the realization that I will not be able to rest, or at least speak on the matter with any conviction, if I do not try it for myself.  I have decided to put myself through my own theories of Velocity Optimization Training.  I think the tentative plan is to do a 98 day program, testing several of the thoughts I've always had on how to throw harder, but was always timid to try as I was preparing for an upcoming season.  Well, unfortunately, the "upcoming season" doesn't exist, putting me in that ever-curious state of, "why not??"  I encourage anyone with ideas or theories of their own, but no guinea pig, to contribute to the conversation.  All progress will be tracked and noted.  Curious by-standers and fans (mom) can be kept up to speed via the blog and twitter (@bayzball).  Don't you want to throw harder???
In all seriousness, as a pitcher, I have always had ideas of, "what if I did this?" or, "why don't I try this?" and never have, in fear of ending/ruining a career.  Well, take away the fear and this where I am.  In an era where so many people are claiming to "have the key" to make you throw a billion mph, maybe this is more of an attempt to weed through the BS, so to speak.  Whatever the reason, personal curiosity mostly, I am embarking on a quest, over the next 98 days, to throw 98 mph.  I'll leave you with a final thought that I often shared in the bullpen, with my fellow relievers, "Go hard or go home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment