Wednesday, April 3, 2013

98 in 98


I found this science experiment form on the internet in an attempt to make this a little more "formal" and "legit" so to speak.

Science Experiment Form

Scientist: Jonah Bayliss

Question: What do you want to find out? Is it possible for me, at the age of 32, to gain several mph on my fastball through the use of a specific, and calculated, training program.

Hypothesis: The prediction is that, with extensive “lateral drive” training and extensive “heavy cuff” training, paired along with a explosive, power producing program, I will be able to reach a maximum speed of 98 mph after 98 days of training.

Materials: Baseballs, a glove, weights, weighted balls, weighted glove, slide board, rubber tubing, foam roller.

Procedure: Here is a general overview, or “prioritized” list of how it will be reached
1. The use of a slide board, and other devices designed to implement                           “lateral explosiveness,” will be implemented. 
2. A very strict routine of weighted baseballs, and a weighted glove will be followed.
3. A large emphasis of “heavy,” and even “explosive,” cuff training will be implemented in accordance with the aforementioned procedure step.
4. A strong core program designed to promote quicker rotation and stability will be used.
5. Some upper body plyometrics will be incorporated with upper body routine designed, also, to promote strong joint stability and functional movement.
  1. Acknowledging that overall flexibility is of the upmost importance, it
will only be pointed out here that attention will be given to hip flexibility specifically, in conjunction with all other areas.

Result(s): Results will be periodically recorded throughout the 98 day experiment.
Conclusion(s): Still to come

Disclaimers: I have added this section on my own.  I wanted to make sure a few things were clear before we went forward.
  • I have major league experience as a pitcher and, thus, do not claim that this program is going to work miracles.  I am acknowledging the fact that skill level plays a large roll in maximum, achievable velocity.
  • I believe, on a few good days throughout my career, that I reached upwards of 95/96 mph.  This is why I did not bother with a “starting speed” in my experiment.  This is also why I chose a realistic goal, and not something along the lines of, say, 101 (even though that would be awesome.)
  • I have been working out and throwing (standard game of catch) leading up to this.  I’m in fairly decent shape, with a strong background in weight training.  I am working with the admission that this program would not work for little Jimmy, who’s never picked up, or even played, baseball in his life. 
  • This is all coming from someone who used to play, now works at a baseball facility, can’t seem to “let it go,” continuing to train for a spring training that is not coming, and wanted to test some theories he’s always had on how to throw harder, but was always scared he might blow out before the season started and now there’s no season.

Now, with my disclaimers out of the way, I’m moving forward.  Updates and “progress” reports will be made through twitter (@bayzball) and facebook (JB Bayzball), and maybe some other form of social media that I haven’t gotten into yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment